Friday, November 14, 2008

The College Diet: An oxymoron






When I was in high school, I put myself on an extreme diet. I had read books about the South Beach Diet and the Atkins Diet, so I decided to combine certain elements of both. I reduced the amount of carbs I ate significantly during the day and stopped eating them after 6 pm. So I might have some wheat noodles during the day (which are considered good carbs) and then a sand which but that would be the only carbs I had that day and after 6 pm, I would have to stick with meats (which were usually baked or just cold cuts). I exercised 4 days a week (which consisted of a 45 minute speed walk on the treadmill and some crunches). My silly self didn't notice that I had lost weight until I went to a Macys and tried on some size 16 pants and couldn't keep them up (the really dumb part was that I as gonna buy the pants anyway until a light bulb came on and told me to try the size 14 and then ultimately the size 12 pair). I had lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I can't explain how proud I was of myself. Everything fit so much better and my face got a lot smaller.



Now, if we fast forward to my second year of college (and that lovely freshman 15 I picked up last year), we'd be in the present, where I tip the scale at 2** (a girl has got to have a few secrets). I'm finally ready to discipline myself back into shape. The main problem is that I'm a broke struggling college student that can't afford to eat healthy. There is no healthy food stores here in Arkansas anyways.

Now, my school has a salad bar that I constantly ignore. So from now on, it will be my new best friend. I have a gym membership that I'll be using 3 times a week: Monday, Wednesday & Friday. On Mondays I'll be focusing on my stomach. Wednesday will be my arm. Fridays will be my legs and glutes. On each day, I'll be doing an hour of some type of cardio coupled with the strength building. I'll try to find a way to incorporate what I've ate on most days in my blogs so I can do a self-check.

Are any of you all on a diet? What do you plan on doing? What's your goal? How do you keep yourself motivated?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well dear when I turned 50 (a long time in the future for you!) I gained 20 lbs. I had NO idea how that happened - I didn't think I'd changed anything. But I went to Curves three times a week with my best friend (still do) and I completely cut out two things - french fries, and chocolate. Over the course of a winter and summer I lost all 20 lbs and I'm happy to say I've stayed the same ever since then. :o) French fries and chocolate - or whatever it is that you can't resist. Oh, potato chips count in the same category as french fries, sad but true.